Blog design and digital scrapbooking elements created by Adori Graphics »

Friday, June 3, 2011

Identity Theft? I'm always so careful...

Below is a copy of what I have forwarded to Telus in hopes of resolving this issue and alleviating my fears that I have just been a victim of identity theft.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm currently on a prepaid plan. I was contacted by a gentleman at 1-866-360-1448 telling me he could put me on a monthly plan that would be a better deal than what I'm currently paying. I receive mail from Telus requesting this all the time so I listened to what he had to say. He wouldn't take no for an answer and pushed to verify my information. He essentially HAD all my info to which I answered yes to verify everything. Then he requested my pin in order to prove it was me. Then he requested my DL# and SIN # I gave the DL without thinking first (I have an infant that was babbling in my other ear at the time) and then refused to give my SIN to which he suddenly changed his tune and didn't need it. I felt weird after getting off the phone and went to my Telus dealer to verify that everything he'd said was true. It wasn't. He had somehow changed my plan but it didn't have the special deals he'd told me I would have. I requested that they change me back to Prepaid immediately and they have done that. I am to wait 3 business days to receive my previous balance back on my account. (nearly $100 because I had just purchase a new card)

I appreciate the help and service I received at my local store in Prince George BC (ABC Communications) they were very helpful and the lady even gave my son a toy to play with while I dealt with everything.

I'm VERY concerned about the information this man has about me though. I was told it wasn't Telus that was making these calls. If that is the case then how on EARTH does this man have my account information? He obviously has access to your systems somehow.  I am seriously concerned about my identity at this point and am considering closing out my account and both cell phones on it in order to prevent this happening in the future. I'd like to know if there is anything that you can do to alleviate my fears. Who was this man that called me? Does he even WORK for your company? If not then how is it that he has access to your customer information?

Thank you so much for looking into this for me. I greatly appreciate the service I have had from Telus in the past and today.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE be careful everybody - LISTEN to your gut! Even if you are distracted, it's not worth the headache when you don't.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They have been calling me too. Twice a day for over a month. Sounds like an east indian man. Maybe they are scammers in India. Someone at Telus may have sold them our info. Telus wouldn't tell us that though. Nothing they can do really.

Cbearsmamma said...

Not sure if you looked at any following posts, but I did finally get some info from Telus and these guys are basically subcontracted by them to do sales calls, they have had complaints about how pushy they are but really there's not much they can do about it. I finally told the guy to stop calling me and after one more attempt they have left me alone since. I advise just getting nasty, which is sad, but it worked - Good luck!

Annie Valdez said...

Well, I think you have every right to be concerned. Although there are times that giving your security PINs and other confident information is required, it is still best not to give it hastily to other people. My advice is check with your provider whether they asked someone to call you, and inquire on the confidentiality and security measures they had for their clients.

fed up said...

Seems like out sourcing to india and paskistan is the trend i quit bell because of the really bad service , I guess rbc going to find out tooo .Yes I did not use caps in a few places .....

Post a Comment

 
Free blog design by Adori Graphics using the Safari Sam digiscrapping kit by Adorible Digital Designs